Monday, February 19, 2007

The Day When Nothing Worked

Poor Nathaniel has been sick with a stomach bug since Friday night (where he upchucked at IHOP--at least it wasn't on MY carpet!), so that just sets the tone for today.

Nathaniel: "I want to watch a movie"
Mommy (thinking "Great! He can rest, I can unload the dishes, start some laundry, get dressed..."): "Sounds good."
We start a Veggie Tales video.
Abby: "Waaahhh!"
Mommy feeds Abby instead of doing chores and we all watch the video.

Nathaniel: "Let's go to the park"
Mommy (thinking "Great! The kids can get some fresh air, I can get some exercise pushing the stroller to the park"): "Sounds good!"
--Mommy spends an hour feeding, clothing, changing, and arranging three participants for said expedition.--
We're off! Abby is sleeping, Nathaniel clutches his car in anticipation of sending it down the slide at the park....
Ring, ring!
Ben (via cell phone): "I have a long break for lunch. Should I come home?"
Mommy: "Sounds great!" --turns stroller around to head home--
Nathaniel: "Waaaaaahhhh! I wanna go to the paaaaaaark!"


--We have a lovely lunch with Daddy--

Nathaniel "I wanna go to the park."
Mommy (thinking, "Oy vey, I don't have the energy for this--maybe we should watch another movie"): "Let me finish feeding Abby and then we'll decide."
Mommy gets a burst of energy, decides to go for it, and once again changes Abby to get ready for the park.
Abby: --spit up--

Mommy: "Grrr!"
Nathaniel: "I wanna watch a movie. I wanna watch a movie. I wanna watch a movie! I WANNA WATCH A MOVIE!!! Waaaaaahh!"
--Nathaniel immediately falls asleep on his bed--
Mommy changes Abby, puts her in the swing for a nap, decides that exercise and chores can wait, and takes a little break.

The End.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Who said motherhood was easy!?

I just finished changing the world worst poop explosion, only to pick up the little perpetrator and have him spit up all over me. So much for having the laundry caught up!!

Thanks for the chuckle =)

Christin said...

Ah, naptime, one of God's most wonderful blessings.

I feel your pain. Luke has been on antibiotics for ear infections that refuse to go away. The lastest antibiotic has the lovely side affect of diarrhea. We are changing 4-6 poopy diapers a day. And many of those iclude a clothes change as well.

Have you ever seen "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel? All I can think when I see it is, "Mike Rowe, you haven't got anything on me! I'd like to see you tag along with a stay at home mommy during a stomach bug. Talk about a dirty job!"

kirsten said...

The phrase "working mother" is redundant. -Jane Sellman

Kudos to mommies everywhere!! I don't know how you do it everyday.

Nicol Clark said...

A break SO well-deserved for sure!! :) I loved this post - great monologue.